Pages

Friday 18 September 2015

Vivienne McKone - Everything's Gonna Be Alright hit #1 in the UK Soul chart.

Vivienne McKone began dancing at the age of two and worked as a child on commercials for
UK and US television, on stage in Thomas Kingsley’s “TheWater Babies” in the West End and
with Anita Harris and Tony Bennett in the ‘Anita Harris in Jumbleland’ television series -
dancing, singing and acting. After early training in jazz and tap dancing, as a pre-teen, she
appeared as 'Velma', the solo dancer, in Alan Parker's film “Bugsy Malone” in 1976. Vivienne
regularly appeared on television, in theatre and in films until 1992, when her career in music
took off.



As Vivienne tells it, “When I was in my mid teens, I decided that I wanted to write and sing
my own songs. I had been taking piano lessons since the age of 8, so I bought a Fender
Rhodes Suitcase 73 Piano when I was about 15 or 16 and wrote my first song on this when I
was 17. Lots of the records I liked by Carole Bayer Sager, Patrice Rushen and others featured
this instrument. When I was in my early 20’s I bought a portastudio, drum machines,
synthesizers and other home recording gear and spent several years doing lots of demos,
building contacts in the music business and doing showcase gigs until I got signed by London
Records.” 



Her first album, “Vivienne McKone”,was produced by Stewart Levine, highly-regarded for his
work with The Crusaders, Randy Crawford and Simply Red. Vivenne’s debut single, “Sing (Ooh-
Ee-Ooh)”, reached #47 in the UK charts on 25 July 1992 and was used as the theme for BBC
TV’s Travel Show from 1994-1997. The followup, “Beware”, reached #69 in the UK charts on
October 31st, 1992. A series of recordings and ‘live’ gigs kept Vivienne busy for the next 10
years or so until she decided to take a break from music while setting up a new home.
Vivienne started working with Mike Collins in 2011, establishing a song-writing partnership
while contemplating a return to ‘live’ performance. The first fruits of their creative
collaboration are two dynamic new mixes of Vivienne’s song “Everything’s Gonna Be Alright”,
featuring Mike on guitar and Gary Barnacle on sax.




Vivienne McKone is currently #1 on the UK Soul chart  with the Nigel Lowis mixes
now also released on i Tunes and Amazon on DSG

No comments:

Post a Comment